The Islamic Online University (IOU) is now an approved full member institution of the Association of African Universities (AAU), alhamdulillah.
The Association of African Universities is an international non-governmental organization set up by universities in Africa to promote cooperation among themselves and between them and the international Academic community.
The AAU is the apex organization and principal forum for consultation, exchange of information and cooperation among the universities in Africa; and where appropriate, the AAU works in collaboration with other national and international organizations, including governments.
The AAU has affiliations with an increasing number of organizations within and outside Africa, and has signed Memoranda of Understanding with a number of others.
I. Organizations with which AAU is affiliated
- International Association of Universities (IAU)
- Association of Arab Universities
- Association of Commonwealth Universities
- Association of Partly or Wholly French-speaking Universities (AUPELF)
- United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA)
- African and Malagasy Council for Higher Education (CAMES)
- International Foundation of Science (IFS)
- Accorded Observer Status at the African Union (AU)
- Accorded Observer Status at the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- Accorded Observer Status at the United Nations University (UNU)
II. Organizations with which AAU has signed Memoranda of Understanding
- Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC)
- National Association for Equal Opportunities in Higher Education (NAFEO)
- New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD)
- African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF)
Being a member of the AAU has many benefits for the IOU such as participation in workshops and conferences and sharing experiences with other African universities in the international higher education community; access to information and documentation on African universities; participation in AAU staff exchanges and scholarship programs; listing in the AAU directory of higher education institutions; being a short-term consultant and resource person; and receive AAU publications.
The IOU membership can be verified here.